Winners honored at NY gala
The finalists for HX: The Hotel Experience’s 2016 Gold Key Awards for Excellence in Hospitality Design have been unveiled. Sponsored by Boutique Design, the awards program is in its 36th year of celebrating the most innovative projects and designers across the globe.
Winners in 21 categories, along with the Designer of the Year, were announced during the Gold Key Awards Gala on Nov. 14 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. The gala is presented in conjunction with co-located trade fairs Boutique Design New York (BDNY), Nov. 13-14, and HX: The Hotel Experience (formerly IHMRS), Nov. 13-15, at New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.
Finalists and winners are selected by a renowned panel of judges, comprised of notable leaders representing key sectors of the hospitality industry.
“With entries reaching a record of nearly 500, this year’s Gold Key awards competition offers an overview of the best hospitality work being done around the globe by firms large and small,” says Mary Scoviak, Boutique Design executive editor and HMG conference director. “The creativity, functionality and human thumbprint on each project represents a dynamic new direction for hospitality design. Choosing the winners and finalists was never more challenging for our judges.”
The finalists are:
Best Eco-Conscious or Socially Conscious Hotel
• Champalimaud Design, New York; Hart Howerton, New York; The Island House, Nassau, Bahamas
• concrete, Amsterdam; Zoku Amsterdam
• Deture Culsign, Architecture + Interiors, Chicago; Treehouse Suite at Playa Viva, Juluchuca, Mexico
Best Lobby Budget/Focused Service
• Ankrom Moisan, Portland, Oregon; MOXY Phoenix, Tempe, Arizona
• CL3 Architects Ltd., Hong Kong; Shinjuku Prince Hotel, Tokyo
• DesignAgency, Toronto; Generator Amsterdam
• Varrodesign, Budapest; Science Hotel Szeged, Hungary
Best Lobby Midscale
• Amanda Sullivan Studio Architecture, New York; Hotel Indigo Lower East Side, New York
• CL3 Architects Ltd., Hong Kong; The Park Lane Hong Kong, A Pullman Hotel
• The Vanguard Theory, Honolulu; The Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club, Honolulu
Best Lobby Upscale
• HBA/Hirsch Bedner Associates, Santa Monica, California; Hilton Wenchang, China
• Mister Important Design, Oakland, California; W Punta de Mita, Mexico
• Simeone Deary Design Group, Chicago; LondonHouse Chicago
• Wanda Hotel Design Institute, Beijing; Doubletree Resort by Hilton Xishuangbanna, Jinghong, China
Best Lobby Luxury
• Arquitectura de Interiores, Guadalajara, Mexico; The Cape, a Thompson Hotel, San José del Cabo, Mexico
• Deborah Berke Partners, New York; 21c Museum Hotel, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
• Wanda Hotel Design Institute, Beijing; Wanda Reign Hotel Chengdu, China
Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to the magazine.